Charity – The Pure Love of Christ

Some people simply call it love.  Charity is love.  It is the love that Christ both gives to us, and offers as an example for us to strive for.  Paul’s admonition to the Corinthians about charity is often quoted.  I thought it was very appropriate.  Here is that quote directly from the source:

THE FIRST EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE
CORINTHIANS
CHAPTER 13
Paul extols the high status of charity—Charity, a pure love, excels and exceeds almost all else.
  1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
  2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
  3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
  4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
  5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
  6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
  7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
  8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
  9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
  10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
  11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
  12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
  13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Good advice for all.

Also compare: here

7 Comments to Charity – The Pure Love of Christ

1. paddedeux says:

Rap this was one of my favorite passages in the NT. We are in agreement that this is what is needed always love. In and out of the forum. As Christ IS Love we need to show the Lord in our words and deeds. I can only police me and I choose to do this now..more so than ever. Thank you for sharing this.

2. pasdedeux says:

I wanted to share this with you and our group…It is one of my favorite OT passages

Malachi 3:16

“Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!” (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him–its written down in a book of remembrance!)

How awesome and we will be blessed for trying to keep His word alive on the forum

3. rapunzel says:

Thanks for sharing that, paddedeux. I love Malachi too. There is so much wisdom in the scriptures, but even more than that, so much love. It is that love that I hope to be able to share with everyone. It’s the love that matters most. It’s too easy sometimes to get bogged down in trying to share the message. When it comes down to the very bottom of it, love is the message.

4. recluse1 says:

This reminded me of a song by “Casting Crowns” titled “The Word is Alive”. I love this group and the message they have in their music! You can find this on youtube, highly recommend it!

5. septembermorn says:

Speaking of His love, I first heard this song on Youtube.com. Hope I don’t make ya’ll sick with my love for these two groups. They really do “make a joyful noise unto the Lord”!! 🙂

His Love is Like a River>

Wendy, if the link doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll PM it to you right.

6. septembermorn says:

AW man! It didn’t work! I’ll fix it. 🙁

You can delete this post if you want to.

7. septembermorn says:

Let’s see if this works.

His Love is Like a River