Thinking & Practicing the word for Peace

I am currently working on creating peace in my life through God…it is what I seek most in life currently. This scripture was pointed out to me by a prayer partner at church. I wanted to share it with you. As I was listening to a sermon today it was mentioned that we must stand on scripture as the seeds which will grow in our lives, so I am going to stand on, read, and speak the following to help grow peace in my life.  Do you have more scriptures about peace you could share with me?

Philipians 4:4-4:9

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

8 Comments to Thinking & Practicing the word for Peace

1. rapunzel says:

I know many scriptures about peace, and will share some. Being able to feel peace is a challenge for me. Music helps me to feel it better sometimes. There are times when music is the only thing that can reach me. Since seeing this question about peace I have been looking for peace, and for the things that help in the search for peace, and there is so much that I don’t know what to start with. Especially since reading about peace and actually feeling it are two entirely different things.

One place to start is this song that I love, Where Can I Turn for Peace. http://youtube.com/watch?v=E3sshDAF3M4&feature=related The pictures start out not peaceful, but then those are followed by pictures of the Savior and the peace that He brings. I hope that you enjoy it.

Another thing that comes to the top of my mind is a scripture that points out to me that there is more than one way to think of peace. In Jesus’s time, the people were looking for a political hero who would come and save them from oppression and bring peace to the land. But that wasn’t what Jesus came to do. He came to bring peace to our hearts, and He still does.

John 14: 27
    27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

I will try to post at least one thing on this subject per day, because there is so much. Feel free to contribute your favorites too.

2. rapunzel says:

I found an article that goes along with that scripture, and will share that now too.

Here is the first bit of it – follow the link above to read the rest:

During the last few days of the Savior’s mortal ministry, He finalized His instruction to His Apostles. They had been with Him during His three-year ministry, but now He completed His teaching that had come line upon line and precept upon precept as rapidly as they had been able to receive it.

Knowing the end of His ministry was near, He told them of His impending departure: “Yet a little while I am with you. . . . Whither I go, ye cannot come” (John 13:33).

Fear, frustration, and concern must have gripped these humble disciples. Jesus had been their security, their help, their light. What could they do without His direction, His instruction, His example, His comfort?

In love and compassion, the Master assured them: “I will not leave you comfortless: . . . I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. . . . He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you” (John 14:18, 16­17, 26).

3. rapunzel says:

Oops, I am sorry. I really had planned on posting something here every day, and I got caught up in everyday life and haven’t been back. I’ll see if I can do some catching up.

I would like to post another song. I wish you could hear the music to this, but I can’t find it anywhere. We are singing this in the choir at my church, and I love it. Unfortunately, the author’s name isn’t on it, and I don’t think it is even published. I think our choir director said that he didn’t write it, although he did do some arranging.

Here are the words:

Go Ye Now In Peace

Go ye now in peace
    and know that the love of God will guide you.
    Feel his presence here beside you,
    showing you the way.

In your time of trouble when hurt and despair are there to grieve you,
    know that the Lord will never leave you.

He will bring you courage.

Know that the God who sent His son to die that you might live

will never leave you lost and alone in His beloved world.

Go ye now in peace.

Go ye now in peace.

*****

I could hear the music in my head while I was typing that, and it nearly brings tears to my eyes every time.

The thing that brings me peace and comfort is knowing that God has a plan and He loves us, and He sent His son to die for us, so that we could return to Him.

Jesus did die so that we could live. He paid for our sins, and endured all of our pain. Anything that you might feel, know that He understands, because He went through it with you and for you. He knows you. He already walked through the valley of the shadow of death with you, and He has made a path for you to get out of that valley. Individually, for you. The path is there, whether you choose to take it or not. He loves you.

4. rapunzel says:

Many of the scriptures that come up on a search for peace are about the peace offerings as sacrifices given in the Old Testament. Peace is often understood in the contest of peace vs. contention. Sometimes peace is best felt and understood when there has been opposition, and the contention is relieved.

The Book of Mormon has many stories of the cycles of peace and contention. It has a lot of scriptures about peace too, such as this one found in Mosiah 15:

16 And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that are still publishing peace!
    17 And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those who shall hereafter publish peace, yea, from this time henceforth and forever!
    18 And behold, I say unto you, this is not all. For O how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that is the founder of peace, yea, even the Lord, who has redeemed his people; yea, him who has granted salvation unto his people;

These words were spoken by Abinidi, who had great understanding, although his attempt to bring peace brought his own death. But ultimately, Abinidi was successful in his mission. He was heard. The chapter that this is taken from (if you want to follow the link) talks about who shall have peace. Those who are redeemed by the Lord, those who die before having heard the gospel, and little children. I find peace in knowing that redemption is available to all who keep the commandments, and all who would keep the commandments if given the opportunity. Peace extends beyond this life, into the ressurection.

5. rapunzel says:

And another of my favorite scriptures in Mosiah comes to mind when I think of peace, although the scripture doesn’t mention peace, specifically:

Mosiah 4:9
    Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not dcomprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.

These words spoken by King Benjamin, who followed God and reigned in peace.

This scripture reminds me that although things often don’t turn out the way we expect or want, we must continue to believe in God, and trust that He knows more than we do, and all is well in accordance with His plan. Ultimately, it will work out. God is in charge, and has not forgotten us.

6. recluse1 says:

Rap, thank you so much for sharing this with all of us. The scriptures are beautiful and reassuring to me just how much love God has for His children. It also serves as a reminder to me that no matter the path I am or the difficulties I am faced with, Jesus has been there and is there with me and is making intercession on my behalf with God the Father. Also, that the Holy Spirit, the Great Comforter and Guide, is there to help me find my way.

With God, all things ARE possible for those who believe!

7. rapunzel says:

(((((((( Recluse1 ))))))))

You have just summed up the essence of the gospel. 🙂 Gospel also means good news. Yes, He is there for you, and He is aware of your struggles and knows how to help, no matter what they may be.

8. rapunzel says:

Here is another song that brings peace:

Be Still, My Soul